The Shaving Cream - Shave Off


For some reason I've been spending a lot of time at drugstores this summer. And spotted this shaving cream by Eos. Yes, it is actually a cream, not a foam, or gel that turns into a foam, it is an actual cream that goes on like a lotion. It promises to "shave closer and leave your skin smooth long after you shave." Sold! I just had to buy it.

My sister came home last night with a similar shaving cream by Skintimate. This morning, spotting the two creams standing side by side, I just couldn't resist doing a little unofficial experiment. Here are the results: Packaging: I love the Eos packaging. It is modern and smooth without being overly simplistic. Comes in a variety of scents/colors that look awfully pretty on the pharmacy shelf (I bought the boring unscented one because between my mousse, deodorant and perfume I don't need any more competing scents). My favorite part is the way the material feels - it is a semi-hard plastic that is sorta squishy (for lack of a better adjective), very cool and different.
Packaging Score: 5 out of 5

Product: So-So, yes my skin is smoother that usual, but that might just be because I've been using plain ole soap before this, so I'm not convinced this is better than the old shaving cream foam type thing. And you have to use a lot of the stuff to get full coverage. But it does feel kind of nice.
Product Score: 3 out of 5

Price: $4.99 - I have to say that is a pretty perfect price. I think it looks more expensive and they could've got away with a higher retail, just because the packaging look so much better that the competition (below). But it is nice that they didn't.
Price Score: 5 out of 5

Overall: I like the product. Probably would purchase again.
Overall Score: 4 out of 5

Eos Total: 17 out of 20


Packaging: In comparison to the Eos packing, Skintimate fails miserably. I can't stand that companies like Skintimate thing that anything in a pink package automatically appeals to the femme masses. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the color in general, just the assumption that pink = wild female success! Add the "flower" nozzle and I'm transported back to the eighth grade. I think I'm actually getting insulted. Are they targeting teenie bopper Jonas Brothers fans? Or the modern working woman (ok did not mean to sound like I'm from the 50s but oh well)?

Also, from a marketing perspective they are introducing something "revolutionary". They should make it stand out from their line of shaving product, not blend in so well.
Packaging Score: 2 out of 5 (and I'm being generous)

Product: Like Eos, I don't see a major difference from the average shaving cream. And I abhor the smell - matches the packaging perfectly. That sickly sweet flowery scent that reminds me of an old age home. BUT it does give you better coverage than Eos.
Product Score: 4 out of 5

Price: $3.99 - Great price, again I think they could have got away with higher, especially if the packaging was better.
Price Score: 5 out of 5

Overall: If it comes out in unscented I would definitely consider switching despite how bad it will look in my shower.
Overall Score: 4 out of 5

Skintimate Total: 15 out of 20

Conclusion:
Eos is the clear winner - at least until Skintimate gets a makeover and goes unscented.

BTW my dream job is to review products.

0 comments:

Post a Comment