Maddie's Pin Diplomacy


I loved this photo gallery taken from Madeline Albright's new book:
found on the

For me, Madeline has always been the epitome of strength and success so I loved seeing this softer, more whimsical side of her. It once again proved that feminine and powerful are not contradicting terms. Here are some of my favorite pins and how she describes them:


“Naturally, not every diplomatic encounter demands a sunny attitude. If I wanted to deliver a sharp message, I often wore a bee. Muhammad Ali used to boast that he would ‘float like a butterfly, sting like a bee’; my message was that America would try to resolve every controversy peacefully, but if pushed into a corner, we had both the will and a way to strike back.

High Heeled Shoe, Designer unknown (USA), circa 2002
“On my 65th birthday, Elaine Shocas, my State Department chief of staff, gave me 65 pins, each costing less than $3. One of the gifts was in the shape of a high-heeled shoe. This was in commemoration of a comment I made when I was designated by Bill Clinton as the successor to Secretary of Sta
te Warren Christopher: ‘I only hope my heels can fill his shoes.’”



Lion, Kenneth Jay Lane (USA), 1968
“While in government, I thought first when selecting a pin about the utility it might have in diplomacy. This is because some figures are laden with meaning. The lion, for example, has been linked to power and the sun since the days of ancient Greece.”


Isn't her amazing? Wouldn't this be a great book to have on your coffee table?



0 comments:

Post a Comment